Sunday 12 July 2015

Mountain days

It needed two more long but beautiful days to get to Albertville. I climbed from Aillon to a 1700m pass and on the way got my first view of higher peaks with permanent snows to the south-east of the Massif des Bauges.


The high meadows are full of flowers and butterflies - numerous Mountain Ringlets confirming the sighting in Les Monts de la Madeleine as well as many smaller ones I don't know and that too elusive to photograph. And cows. As I descended from the pass I came across this little mobile four-cow milking parlour at about 1300m, the herd nearby all with their bells clanging away. The milk might go for the excellent Tome des Bauges cheese I am eating, made in Aillon.


Down to École. The roofs are all slate again now with some huge eaves to protect against winter snow I presume. 


The next day's goal is the pass which is a nick in the ridge in the middle distance of this photo. 


There's an evening fête in tiny École with food and fireworks. But alas I need to do some more miles if I am to get to Albertville on the morrow. So it's on up the valley towards the pass and a lovely campsite. The rocks prove a hard mattress but the sound all night of the river is ample compensation together with the stars. 


The view at 7am the next morning of the ridge to the south-east above the river. 


And another to the north just before I get to the top a couple of hours later. 


And from the top, a first view of Mont Blanc to the north-east that takes my breath away. Italy lies on the other side..


And another on the long steep way down to the heat of Albertville, from beneath the plum tree where I stop for lunch and a snooze. 


4 comments:

  1. Wahou! It looks wonderful. Courage pour les derniers jours de marche, l'Italie n'a jamais été aussi proche.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful to be in the mountains! Surely you could spare some time to enjoy the local festivities? Seems a shame not to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done, John. Almost there, visually at least! I know it's a tough haul, but how amazing. How's the plantar fasciitis?

    ReplyDelete